Help about Places
To add a place see Editing for more information.
Select Places from the main menu. A drop down box will appear with – Select – shown. The first box contains the major areas.
- Mainland Britain
- Mainland Europe
- North America
After a selection is made another drop down box will appear with – Select – shown. Each time narrowing down the search until the standard CanalPlanAC place page is displayed with the place name at the top of the page. Another way is by entering one of the following:
- Place name
- Postal code
- OS Grid
- CanalPlanAC 4 character code
into the Quick Search box.
Each Place page is divided into sections, the following are the minimum allowed and are based on the place Braunston:
- CanalPlanAC Location — Home Page > Waterways > Mainland Britain > Grand Union Canal > Grand Junction Canal > Main Line > Braunston. Clicking on the text between > > will display the next level up.
- QR code — You can use a QR code to go straight to a place, waterway or photograph in CanalPlanAC. This one takes you to Braunston. Just photograph it with a smart phone. You will need a suitable app on your smart phone to use the QR code. There are lots of good and free apps available, just search for 'QR reader' and find one that runs on your phone. You can also print this code to use later or for others to use - so if you run a waterside business you can use it to direct visitors to the entry on CanalPlanAC that describes the place or shows photos of it!
- Link— Allows the copying of the URL (http://canalplan.org.uk/gazetteer/4bqa , this is Braunston) to link in emails, blogs etc
- Place Name — Shows the place name
- History — Shows the editing history of this place.
- Add Discussion — allows users to ask questions relevant to this place. Please add your user name and four hyphens, to divide each discussion, to the end of the your text.
- Additional text — Any additional text which is supplied by users about this place.
- Location Address — The official address of this
- The following options are user defined and set in Preferences, where the order can be changed.
- Photos — These are photos submitted by user. If multiple photos are associated with this place an index of thumbnails is shown. There is an index for each multiple of ten photos which are tabbed above the thumbnails. The Photos are shown in no particular order.
- Map — The map has a red pin denoting its position and red text in a box showing the place name. Adjacent places are shown in blue text. Depending on your preferences these could be "real" places or "marker" places (mark out the line of the waterway). To move a marker drag it to the new position and click Ok. Markers should be in the centre of the waterway to correctly position the map line.
- Information — Gives information on where this place is in relation to other waterways and the nearest places in either direction.
- Gazetteer Strip Map — Shows five places either side of this place.
- Comments (Extra information) — Shows any information users have added or "There is no other information about [this place]. Why not add some"
- Navigational notes — Not visible unless a navigational note has been added.
- Links to other websites — Shows links to websites or " There are no links to external websites from here. Why not add some from the "add" submenu?
- Blogs — Not visible unless a blog about this place is available.
- Places from Facebook — Links to Facebook pages in this area.
- Google search results
- Mooring quality — A rating will be displayed and a voting facility enabled. You can indicate how good a mooring is just by moving your mouse over the row of stars. When you have the right number of stars displayed, click to vote.
- Users' comments on mooring — Shows users' comments or "No comments yet!"
- OS OpenSpace Map
- Wikipedia pages — Shows Wikipedia pages or those that might relate to this place.
- Photos from Geograph — Shows tabs of thumbnails available from Geograph.
- Weather forecast — Shows the weather forecast for this place, powered by World Weather Online.
- Nearest Facilities — Shows the following nearest facilities in miles and locks.
- Water point
- Rubbish disposal
- Chemical toilet disposal
- Place to turn
- Direction of TV transmitter — Link to the transmitter page from Wolfbane Cybernetic.
At the bottom of the page are the following options:
- Preferences — Help and information on how to set your individual Preferences.
- Plan a route from here — Clicking on this button will direct you to the plan a journey page with this location in both the Start From and Finish at boxes.
- Share — Allows the sharing of places on Facebook.
- Add Photos — Help and information on how to add or view photos.
- Contact navigation authority — Send an email to the
navigation authority about this place.
Some of the sections can be collapsed to a single line or expanded to full size as required.