This is a swing bridge.
|Winkworth Way Bridge||1 mile, 3½ furlongs|
|Obridge Viaduct Railway Bridge||1 mile, 2¾ furlongs|
|Obridge Viaduct||1 mile, 1¾ furlongs|
|Venture Way Bridge No 2||1 mile|
|Venture Way Bridge No 1||5¼ furlongs|
|Bridgewater Road Bridge||½ furlongs|
|Hyde Lane Road Bridge||3¾ furlongs|
|Hyde Lane Motorway Bridge||4¾ furlongs|
|St Michael Road Bridge||1 mile, 2¼ furlongs|
|Ryesland Way Field Bridge||1 mile, 3¼ furlongs|
- Bathpool Salon (Hair Salon, Beauty Salon)
297 yards to the southwest.
- Indigo (Computer Services)
1094 yards to the south.
- Devon sex toys (Shopping & Retail)
711 yards to the southwest.
- Costa Taunton Drive Thru (Coffee Shop)
1079 yards to the south.
- Holiday Inn Express Taunton M5, Jct 25 (Motel, Bed and Breakfast)
1506 yards to the south.
- Taunton Jaguar (Car Dealership)
819 yards to the northeast.
- Tacchi-Morris Arts Centre (Theatre)
805 yards to the north.
- Odeon Cinema (Movie Theatre)
663 yards to the south.
- Hollywood Bowl Taunton (Bowling Alley)
727 yards to the south.
- McDonald's Restaurant (Fast Food Restaurant)
659 yards to the south.
- The Harvester (Bar, Restaurant)
1491 yards to the south.
- Holiday Inn (Motel, Hotel)
1311 yards to the south.
- The Bathpool Inn (Bar, Restaurant, Pub)
221 yards to the south.
- The Merry Monk (Bar, Restaurant, Pub)
832 yards to the north.
- The Hankridge Arms (Pub, Food & Restaurant)
1059 yards to the south.
- Premier Inn (Hotel)
1546 yards to the south.
- Mandarin (Buffet Restaurant, Chinese Restaurant)
673 yards to the southwest.
- Beefeater Grill Taunton (Bar & Grill)
948 yards to the southwest.
- Blackbrook Tavern (Restaurant, Pub)
1471 yards to the south.
- Sainsbury's (Grocery Store)
1031 yards to the south.
- Asda Taunton (Big Box Retailer)
1507 yards to the southwest.
- Mothercare Taunton (Children's Clothing Store)
980 yards to the south.
- Tramontes Italian Restaurant (Italian Restaurant)
684 yards to the southwest.
- Travelodge Hotel - Taunton (Hotel)
982 yards to the south.
- DSA Test Centre...Taunton. (Government Organization)
1098 yards to the west.
- Taunton Rugby Football Club (Event Venue, Performance Venue, Sports Club)
703 yards to the southeast.
Wikipedia has a page about Swingbridge
- For other uses, see Swing Bridge (disambiguation) n
A swing bridge is a movable bridge that has as its primary structural support a vertical locating pin and support ring, usually at or near to its center of gravity, about which the turning span can then pivot horizontally as shown in the animated illustration to the right. Small swing bridges as found over canals may be pivoted only at one end, opening as would a gate, but require substantial underground structure to support the pivot.
In its closed position, a swing bridge carrying a road or railway over a river or canal, for example, allows traffic to cross. When a water vessel needs to pass the bridge, road traffic is stopped (usually by traffic signals and barriers), and then motors rotate the bridge horizontally about its pivot point. The typical swing bridge will rotate approximately 90 degrees, or one-quarter turn; however, a bridge which intersects the navigation channel at an oblique angle may be built to rotate only 45 degrees, or one-eighth turn, in order to clear the channel.
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Mouseover for more information or