Standedge Tunnel (West end)
|Ward Lane Bridge No 66||6½ furlongs|
|Geoffrey Dickens Lock No 31W||6¼ furlongs|
|Western Summit Lock No 32W||5 furlongs|
|Spring Grove Aqueduct||1¾ furlongs|
|Standedge Tunnel (West end)|
|Standedge Tunnel (East end)||3 miles, 2 furlongs|
|Waterways Office (Manchester and Pennine Waterways, Huddersfield) - Canal & River Trust||3 miles, 2 furlongs|
|Tunnel End Footbridge No 62||3 miles, 2½ furlongs|
|Tunnel End Winding Hole||3 miles, 2¾ furlongs|
|Tunnel End Railway Bridge No 61||3 miles, 3¼ furlongs|
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some from the "add" submenu?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest Water point
Nearest Rubbish disposalOn this waterway in the direction of Aspley Basin Travel to Aspley Basin, then on the Huddersfield Broad Canal to Cooper Bridge Junction, then on the Calder and Hebble Navigation (Main Line) to Brighouse Basin Travel to Aspley Basin, then on the Huddersfield Broad Canal to Cooper Bridge Junction, then on the Calder and Hebble Navigation (Main Line) to Brighouse Basin Bridge No 8 Travel to Aspley Basin, then on the Huddersfield Broad Canal to Cooper Bridge Junction, then on the Calder and Hebble Navigation (Main Line) to Shepley Bridge Sanitary Station
Nearest Chemical toilet disposalOn this waterway in the direction of Aspley Basin On this waterway in the direction of Aspley Basin
Nearest Place to turn
Wikipedia has a page about Standedge Tunnel
The Standedge Tunnels are four parallel tunnels beneath the Pennines in northern England. Three are railway tunnels and the other is a canal tunnel. They are located at the Standedge (pronounced Stannige) crossing point between Marsden and Diggle, across the boundary between the West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester conurbations. Before boundary changes in 1974, both ends of the tunnel were in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
The canal tunnel is on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal. It opened in 1811 and is the longest and oldest of the four and is the longest and highest canal tunnel in the United Kingdom. The first single-track railway tunnel was completed by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) in 1848 on the line between Huddersfield and Manchester and a second parallel tunnel opened in 1871. The LNWR opened a third tunnel with double tracks in 1894. All four tunnels are linked by cross-tunnels or adits at strategic intervals, which allowed the railway tunnels to be built quickly, reducing the need for construction shafts, as waste could be removed by boat.
Of the railway tunnels, only the one built in 1894 is currently used for rail traffic. Closed in 1943, the canal tunnel was re-opened in May 2001. The Standedge Tunnel Visitor Centre, at the Marsden end, is a base for boat trips into the tunnel and hosts an exhibition depicting the different crossings.
- Woolyknit (Arts & Crafts Supply Store, Wholesale & Supply Store, Internet Cafe)
299 to the west.
- The Gate Inn (Bar & Grill, Pub)
597 to the southwest.
- Play Diggle (Playground)
219 to the west.
- CrossFit Saddleworth (Personal Trainer, Fitness Center, Physical Fitness)
299 to the west.
- Standedge Tunnel (Landmark)
27 to the southwest.
- Huddersfield Canal Diggle (Park)
382 to the southwest.
- The Diggle Hotel (Hotel, Restaurant, Bar)
149 to the northeast.