Standedge Tunnel (West end)
|Ward Lane Bridge No 66||6½ furlongs|
|Geoffrey Dickens Lock No 31W||6¼ furlongs|
|Western Summit Lock No 32W||5 furlongs|
|Spring Grove Aqueduct||1¾ furlongs|
|Standedge Tunnel (West end)|
|Standedge Tunnel (East end)||3 miles, 2 furlongs|
|Standedge Tunnel Visitor Centre||3 miles, 2 furlongs|
|Tunnel End Footbridge No 62||3 miles, 2½ furlongs|
|Tunnel End Winding Hole||3 miles, 2¾ furlongs|
|Tunnel End Railway Bridge No 61||3 miles, 3¼ furlongs|
- Woolyknit (Arts & Crafts Supply Store, Cafe)
284 yards to the southwest.
- Audiocounsel (Shopping & Retail)
94 yards to the north.
- Kryshia (Women's Clothing Store)
784 yards to the southwest.
- Vapour Vibe (Shopping & Retail)
460 yards to the west.
- Diggle railway station (Landmark, Train Station)
85 yards to the east.
- Sugar Violets (Food & Grocery)
411 yards to the west.
- Adrian Cunningham Accountancy & Taxation Services. (Financial Planning, Accountant, Tax Preparation)
702 yards to the west.
- Bouncers Play Center (Playground)
248 yards to the west.
- Grandpa Greene's Luxury Ice Cream (Restaurant)
524 yards to the southwest.
- Fox Mico (Contractor, Construction Service & Supply, Electrician)
913 yards to the southwest.
- Stuart Coleman Photography (Photographer)
267 yards to the north.
- Louise and Kim's party planning (Event Planner, Party Supplies, Wedding Planning)
1239 yards to the north.
- Ask Alex Smith (Wedding Planning, Event Planner)
500 yards to the west.
- Amie Logan's equine services (Horses)
736 yards to the southwest.
- Bed & Breakfast In Saddleworth (Food & Restaurant)
661 yards to the southwest.
- Standedge Tunnel (Landmark)
21 yards to the northwest.
- Diggle Park (Park)
388 yards to the southwest.
- Huddersfield Canal Diggle (Sports & Recreation, Park)
405 yards to the southwest.
- The Saddleworth Hotel (Hotel)
1390 yards to the northwest.
- Bouncers (Playground)
244 yards to the west.
- Peak District National Park (Park)
1115 yards to the north.
- Manchester Picadilly Station (Train Station)
610 yards to the southwest.
- Diggle Junction (Public Transportation)
727 yards to the southwest.
- Woolyknit Cafe (Cafe)
288 yards to the southwest.
- Diggle News (Community Organization)
229 yards to the north.
- BW Farm Supplies (Convenience Store)
1191 yards to the north.
- Simply SIgns (Signs & Banner Service)
460 yards to the west.
- Ash Garden Maintenance (Professional Services)
281 yards to the north.
- HB Homemade jumps (Equipment Service & Supply)
1102 yards to the east.
- Simply Beautiful (Spa, Beauty & Personal Care)
523 yards to the west.
- Fresh Faces (Skin Care, Beauty Salon)
774 yards to the south.
Wikipedia has a page about Standedge Tunnel
The Standedge Tunnels are four parallel tunnels beneath the Pennines in northern England. Three are railway tunnels and the other is a canal tunnel. They are located at the Standedge (pronounced Stannige) crossing point between Marsden and Diggle, across the boundary between the West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester conurbations. Before boundary changes in 1974, both ends of the tunnel were in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
The canal tunnel on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal is the longest and oldest of the four and is the longest and highest canal tunnel in the United Kingdom. All four tunnels are linked by cross-tunnels or adits at strategic intervals to allow the railway tunnels to be built quickly, reducing the need for construction shafts, as waste could be removed by boat.
Of the railway tunnels, only the one built in 1894 is currently used for rail traffic. Closed in 1943, the canal tunnel was re-opened in May 2001. The Standedge Tunnel Visitor Centre, at the Marsden end, is a base for boat trips into the tunnel and hosts an exhibition depicting the different crossings.
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Mouseover for more information or