Standedge Tunnel (East end)
Facilities: water point.
|Geoffrey Dickens Lock No 31W||4 miles|
|Western Summit Lock No 32W||3 miles, 7 furlongs|
|Spring Grove Aqueduct||3 miles, 3¾ furlongs|
|Diggle||3 miles, 2¾ furlongs|
|Standedge Tunnel (West end)||3 miles, 2 furlongs|
|Standedge Tunnel (East end)|
|Standedge Tunnel Visitor Centre||½ furlongs|
|Tunnel End Footbridge No 62||¾ furlongs|
|Tunnel End Winding Hole||1 furlong|
|Tunnel End Railway Bridge No 61||1½ furlongs|
|Bridge No 61 Narrows||2 furlongs|
- Riverhead Brewery Tap (Pub)
1060 yards to the east.
- On the fringe (Hair Salon)
1176 yards to the southeast.
- Marsden Mechanics Hall (Community Center)
1121 yards to the east.
- Marsden Junior School (Junior High School)
1323 yards to the east.
- Marsden Health Centre (Family Medicine Practice)
1001 yards to the east.
- Marsden Park (Outdoor Recreation)
1297 yards to the east.
- Tunnel End Marsden (Outdoors)
1098 yards to the southeast.
- Marsden Socialist club (Social Club)
1356 yards to the east.
- Mozzerellas (Food & Restaurant)
1108 yards to the east.
- Motorman's Cafe (Restaurant)
480 yards to the west.
- Marsden Parish Church (Clubhouse)
833 yards to the east.
- Pule Hill (Outdoors)
1577 yards to the southwest.
- The Riverhead Marsden (Food & Restaurant)
1060 yards to the east.
- Marsden Cricket & Bowling Club (Sports & Recreation)
1218 yards to the south.
- Magic Box (Shopping & Retail)
1079 yards to the east.
- Marsden Cricket Club (Sports & Recreation)
1627 yards to the south.
- Dirker Marsden (Travel & Transportation)
930 yards to the east.
- Smiley Happy Faces (Playground, Event Planner, Child Care)
1132 yards to the east.
- Marsden Library (Library)
1234 yards to the east.
- Dark Inc. Custom Tattoo Studio & Gallery (Tattoo & Piercing, Art Gallery)
968 yards to the east.
- Lily Blossom (Florist, Seasonal Store)
1177 yards to the east.
- Standedge Craft Markets (Event Venue, Shopping & Retail)
500 yards to the northwest.
- Bagstock and Bumble (Candy Store)
965 yards to the southeast.
- Yvettes Avon Marsden/Huddersfield (Cosmetics & Beauty Supply, Accessories Store, Hair Removal)
1272 yards to the southeast.
- Peel One (Restaurant)
1071 yards to the east.
- Mozzarellas Pizzeria & Wine Bar (Pizza Place)
1101 yards to the east.
- A Month of Sundaes, Marsden (Ice Cream Parlor, Diner)
1087 yards to the east.
- Crumbals On The Corner (Cafe, Diner, Breakfast & Brunch Restaurant)
1091 yards to the east.
- The Shakespeare inn (Pub)
1193 yards to the east.
- The New Inn (Pub, Food & Restaurant, Bed and Breakfast)
1203 yards to the east.
- Marsden Golf Club (Sports Venue & Stadium)
1477 yards to the southeast.
- Wide Eyed Girl Productions (Movie & Television Studio)
1577 yards to the east.
- Standedge Tunnel and Visitor Centre (Historical Place, Tourist Attraction)
74 yards to the northeast.
- Oh So Gorgeous Nail and Beauty Salon (Spa, Beauty & Personal Care)
1332 yards to the southeast.
- Thebeautyroom Gsapphire (Beauty Salon, Nail Salon)
1185 yards to the east.
- Green Sapphire - Organic Beauty (Spa, Beauty & Personal Care)
1131 yards to the east.
- Tan Daly (Nail Salon, Beauty Salon, Tanning Salon)
1132 yards to the east.
Wikipedia has a page about Standedge Tunnel
The Standedge Tunnels are four parallel tunnels beneath the Pennines in northern England. Three are railway tunnels and the other is a canal tunnel. They are located at the Standedge (pronounced Stannige) crossing point between Marsden and Diggle, across the boundary between the West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester conurbations. Before boundary changes in 1974, both ends of the tunnel were in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
The canal tunnel is on the Huddersfield Narrow Canal. It opened in 1811 and is the longest and oldest of the four and is the longest and highest canal tunnel in the United Kingdom. The first single-track railway tunnel was completed by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) in 1848 on the line between Huddersfield and Manchester and a second parallel tunnel opened in 1871. The LNWR opened a third tunnel with double tracks in 1894. All four tunnels are linked by cross-tunnels or adits at strategic intervals, which allowed the railway tunnels to be built quickly, reducing the need for construction shafts, as waste could be removed by boat.
Of the railway tunnels, only the one built in 1894 is currently used for rail traffic. Closed in 1943, the canal tunnel was re-opened in May 2001. The Standedge Tunnel Visitor Centre, at the Marsden end, is a base for boat trips into the tunnel and hosts an exhibition depicting the different crossings.
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Mouseover for more information or