Lift Bridge No 164
Places of interest within 1 mile and to which this is the nearest place: Aliance and Leicester cashpoints (ATM machines) (½ furlongs away); HSBC cashpoints (ATM machines) (1 furlong away); Lloyds Bank cashpoints (ATM machines) (1½ furlongs away); Nationwide Building Society cashpoints (ATM machines) (½ furlongs away); Natwest Bank cashpoints (ATM machines) (¾ furlongs away); Santander Bank cashpoints (ATM machines) (1¼ furlongs away)
This is a lift bridge.
|Bridge Street Bridge (Banbury) No 166||1¼ furlongs|
|Cherwell Street Bridge No 165A||¾ furlongs|
|Cherwell Street facilities||¾ furlongs|
|Concorde Avenue Bridge No 165||½ furlongs|
|Banbury Lock No 29||½ furlongs|
|Lift Bridge No 164|
|Tooley's Boatyard||¼ furlongs|
|Tooley's Boatyard Footbridge||¼ furlongs|
|Castle Quay Footbridge||¾ furlongs|
|Tom Rolt Bridge No 164||1¼ furlongs|
|Sovereign Wharf||1¾ furlongs|
- Banbury railway station (Railroad, Train Station)
495 yards to the southeast.
- Caffe veneto (Food & Grocery)
383 yards to the southwest.
- Costa Coffee Banbury Castle Quay (Cafe, Coffee Shop)
95 yards to the southwest.
- Pinto-lounge Loungers (Cafe)
416 yards to the southwest.
- Wild Lime Banbury (Pub, Sports Bar, Wine Bar)
128 yards to the south.
- MRC Tuning (Automotive Customizing)
1254 yards to the east.
- Banbury Museum (Museum)
45 yards to the west.
- Spiceball Leisure Center Health Suite (Sports & Recreation)
189 yards to the northeast.
- West Street Park (Park)
457 yards to the northeast.
- Banbury Cross (Landmark, Monument)
322 yards to the southwest.
- Marks and Spencer - Banbury (Accessories Store, Specialty Grocery Store)
84 yards to the southwest.
- General Foods Social Club (Social Club)
114 yards to the northwest.
- Castle Quay, Banbury (Shopping Mall, Public Places & Attractions)
103 yards to the west.
- Debenhams (Department Store)
106 yards to the south.
- Banbury Bus Station (Bus Station)
162 yards to the southeast.
- Horton hospital A&E (Hospital)
1175 yards to the south.
- 3663 Banbury (Professional Services)
1519 yards to the east.
- Clarks (Shoe Store)
36 yards to the southwest.
- Horton Maternity Ward (Hospital)
1196 yards to the south.
- O2 (Mobile Phone Shop)
43 yards to the west.
- Peoples Park (Park, Public Places & Attractions)
853 yards to the west.
- Orange Shop - Banbury (Mobile Phone Shop)
51 yards to the southwest.
- Bidvest (Supply & Distribution Services)
1417 yards to the east.
- Horsefair Surgery (Medical & Health)
926 yards to the southwest.
- Gala Bingo (Bingo Hall)
468 yards to the west.
- Banbury Canal Day (Community & Government)
110 yards to the northwest.
- Horton General Hospital (Hospital)
1173 yards to the south.
- Greggs (Bakery)
375 yards to the southwest.
- Woodlands Surgery (Medical & Health)
1068 yards to the northeast.
- Ye Olde Reine Deer Inn (Pub)
379 yards to the west.
Wikipedia has a page about Lift Bridge
A vertical-lift bridge or lift bridge is a type of movable bridge in which a span rises vertically while remaining parallel with the deck.
The vertical lift offers several benefits over other movable bridges such as the bascule and swing-span bridge. Generally speaking they cost less to build for longer moveable spans. The counterweights in a vertical lift are only required to be equal to the weight of the deck, whereas bascule bridge counterweights must weigh several times as much as the span being lifted. As a result, heavier materials can be used in the deck, and so this type of bridge is especially suited for heavy railroad use.
Although most vertical-lift bridges use towers, each equipped with counterweights, some use hydraulic jacks located below the deck. An example is the 52-foot (16 m) span bridge at St Paul Avenue in Milwaukee (see also table bridges). Another design used balance beams to lift the deck, with pivoting bascules located on the top of the lift towers. An example of this kind was built at La Salle in Illinois, USA.
The biggest disadvantage to the vertical-lift bridge (in comparison with many other designs) is the height restriction for vessels passing under it. This is a result of the deck remaining suspended above the passageway.
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Mouseover for more information or