The place is a basin.
|Mouth of the Tyne||3 miles, ¾ furlongs|
|South Shields Ferry||6 furlongs|
|Royal Quays Marina||5¼ furlongs|
|Jarrow Slake Swinging Area||4 furlongs|
|Tyne - Don Junction||6¾ furlongs|
|Northumberland Dock Tidal Basin||7 furlongs|
|Tyne - Willington Gut Junction||2 miles, 1 furlong|
|Saint Peter's Marina||6 miles, 4¼ furlongs|
- DFDS Seaways UK (Ferry & Boat, Cruise, Transportation Service)
545 yards to the north.
- Aneesas Buffet Restaurant (Indian Restaurant)
1059 yards to the east.
- Trimmers Arms - South Shields (Bands & Musicians, Pub, Wine Bar)
786 yards to the northeast.
- Newcastle-Amsterdam Ferry (Ferry & Boat)
431 yards to the north.
- King Seaways (Ferry & Boat)
365 yards to the north.
- Starbowl (Bowling Alley)
1241 yards to the northwest.
- Earl Of Zetland (Bar, Cafe)
844 yards to the north.
- Brewers Fayre (Bar, Restaurant)
1036 yards to the northwest.
- Taybarns, Newcastle Road, South Shields (Family Style Restaurant)
1608 yards to the south.
- Taybarns (Buffet Restaurant)
1607 yards to the south.
- Brewsters Fayre and Softplay (Food & Restaurant, Bar)
1033 yards to the northwest.
- Costa Coffee Royal Quays (Coffee Shop)
1215 yards to the northwest.
- On board princess seaways (Ferry & Boat)
422 yards to the north.
- The Princess of Norway (Ferry & Boat)
423 yards to the north.
- Wooden huts (Gardener)
511 yards to the east.
- Soccerdome @ DW Sports Fitness (Gym)
1012 yards to the northwest.
- Royal Quays Public House (Pub, Bar)
1031 yards to the northwest.
- Dw GYM (Fitness Center, Gym)
1035 yards to the northwest.
- The Steamboat (Food & Restaurant, Pub)
1206 yards to the northeast.
- Asda South Shields (Big Box Retailer)
1376 yards to the northeast.
- Checkmat South Shields Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (Martial Arts)
1024 yards to the east.
- KFC (Fast Food Restaurant)
1609 yards to the east.
- Premier Inn South Shields (Hotel)
1634 yards to the south.
- South Shields Market (Public Square, Market)
1475 yards to the northeast.
- Port Of Tyne Cruise Check In! (Travel & Transportation)
871 yards to the north.
- Valonia Tattoos (Tattoo & Piercing)
1001 yards to the east.
Wikipedia has a page about Tyne Dock
Tyne Dock is a neighbourhood within the town of South Shields, North East England, on the south bank of the River Tyne. It takes its name from the large dock on the river which was opened in 1859 by the Tyne Improvement Commission to handle Tyneside's coal exports. This trade declined in the second half of the twentieth century and the bridges that carried the coal trains into the dock, the famous Tyne Dock Arches, were demolished in the early-1980s. The dock itself has been progressively infilled since closure, allowing for the building of modern storage warehouses. This process concluded with the final 13 acres that were filled in as part of the project to build the second Tyne Tunnel. The Tyne Dock basin was filled with 400,000 cubic metres of sediment dredged from the Tyne.
Tyne Dock Metro station, on the Tyne and Wear Metro, serves the Tyne Dock area, as well as neighbouring West Harton.
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above