What Changed in July, August & September 2016
Tuesday 28 June 2016
- Fixed error in link to place from index page photo text
Saturday 2 July 2016
- Extensive work to the expression parser - although triggered by issue 145 this turned out to be a major defect in the expression code around embedded literal associative arrays. Fixing it has meant that I now do a lot more expression caching (there were various places where I'd lazily turned caching off to avoid having to make it work the way it needed to; it has now been done properly) which should make things a tad more efficient.
→ Release 22.214.171.124
Sunday 3 July 2016
- Changes to the structure interpretation code to prevent issue 147. Made the code a fraction more elegant as well.
- Added a "show index" button to the display of old issues
Monday 4 July 2016
- You can delete historic events and quotations, and the old item is filed in the "deleted items" table.
Tuesday 5 July 2016
- Escaped user names in XML feeds to prevent errors when people have special characters in their names (as reported in issue 149).
→ Release 126.96.36.199
To Sunday 17 July 2016
- Lots of improvements to ring editing code in response to issue 151
- Huge changes to database work to harden the code - I'll be astonished if this doesn't cause some errors.
→ Release 9.27 (in beta)
To Wednesday 10 August 2016
- Waterways, features and areas can now all have discussions (expansion of request in issue 165).
- Improved treatment of discussion text to avoid problems such as issue 168.
- Improved display of changes to discussions in the RSS feed as pointed out in issue 159.
- Fixed all appropriate links from RSS and New Contributions to use "location" - should fix issue 169.
- Changed escaping for books to address issue 163.
- Several small tweaks to fix bugs indentified in beta testing of candidate 9.27 release (see the relevant ones reported in issue 154).
- Made the extra information (previously user comments) support wiki markup. Slightly fiddly to avoid having to re-write all old ones (but to encourage editing) - this is issue 170.
→ Release 9.27
Wednesday 10 August 2016
- Fixed a previous missed bug produced by the change to the database that broke API calls for waterway matching
- Better bug reporting emails - they have relevant subjects now
→ Release 188.8.131.52
Thursday 11 August 2016
- Fixed another such bug that broke background waterways on maps and hence PDF generation
→ Release 184.108.40.206
- Added alias information to places in route lists, tables, itineraries and PDFs (extension of the request in issue 158).
- Added navigational notes to PDFs while I was in there.
- Fixed problem with adding photos to features - issue 172
→ Release 9.27.1
- Fixed another resultant bug around place names not always matching when there is also an alias
- Prevented out-of-range OS grid references (improved the mapping table, but the actual problem was leading zeros). Fixes issue 101.
→ Release 220.127.116.11
Friday 12 August 2016
- Fixed bug (introduced yesterday) where editing of features stopped working properly - issue 174
- Fixed hiding of "edit feature" when not logged on
- Fixed a bug introduced yesterday that prevented places being deleted
- Fixed problems with history of places introduced by new "additional information" records
- Added a new command to toggle database escaping to help with a bug introduced in last main release
→ Release 18.104.22.168
Saturday 13 August 2016
- Fixed bugs (plural!) with not being able to see and edit the rise or length of features
- Add forgotten code to allow creation of navigational notes for features - what really was behind issue 177.
- Fixed a bug that prevented places from being deleted (introduced with the new wiki place text)
- Fixed over-zealous escaping in putting names in the route entry (and placefinder results) screens - the cause of issue 178.
→ Release 22.214.171.124
- Fixed and extended code for displaying books on waterways (route and itinerary were fine) - addresses issue 161.
- Slight improvement to internal JSON spotting to generate an empty lookup for a empty or null field.
→ Release 126.96.36.199
Tuesday 16 August 2016
- Proper fix to internal JSON handling to do what the previous release was meant to do [pre-release patch]
Wednesday 17 August 2016
- Removed some html escaping in response to issue 179.
- Changed unknown place matching to better cope with escaped names (found while working on this)
Thursday 18 August 2016
- Removed further HTML escaping
- Fixed maps of book coverage (broken by XML-escaping update)
- Allowed home moorings to have special symbols in them (broken at the same time)
Saturday 20 August 2016
- Two problems with automatic linear graphic regeneration. One recently introduced and one very long-standing, found during the investigations issue 185. Fixed the first by a pre-release patch and the second will be in the release
- Many changes to the RSS and "contributions" templates to cope with the escaping changes (pushed as a pre-release patch)
- Pre-release patch to the "recent discussions" call from the home page to work with structures, areas and waterways as well as places.
Friday 26 August 2016
- (pre-release) addition of pump-out facilities to "find nearest", as requested in issue:188
To Saturday 3 September 2016
- Fixed bug where adding a place with certain characters in it caused a database lock for the entire site - reported as issue 184.
- Did a few other tweaks around name reporting and the timeout page while testing this
→ Release 188.8.131.52
- Fixed bug where interactive name searches sometimes used escaped characters (need to change the code to build the place_ww table)
- Fixed excessive escaping in exported routes
Sunday 4 September 2016
- Fixed various hiccups in export of escaped characters. I believe this now closes off issue 179.
→ Release 184.108.40.206
- Fixed the spew of strange things a place deletion put into the changes log (see issue 189) and improved reporting of place deletion at the same time.
→ Release 220.127.116.11
To Sunday 11 September 2016
- Pre-release patch to fix a bug where editing waterway details was failing
- Work on the "nearest" plug in for gazetteers:
- Improved display when there are no such facilities in range/in the database
- Improved caching in those circumstances as well
→ Release 9.27.2