What changed in July 2010
Pre-release changes carried over from June 2010
- Made all entries in the "new contributions" table into links to the place or waterway concerned (pre-release)
- Removed spurious debugging code from the options system (pre-release)
- Patched the length and width of the newer Liverpool Canals (pre-release)
- Added a tweak to the route calculation so that if there are no recorded length or widths for a waterway it will not be excluded from planning for a known boat size (pre-release)
Friday 2 July 2010
- Added waterway dimension information to the waterways gazetteer
Saturday 3 July 2010
- Tweaked code so that polylines get updated whenever a place is moved (which is what should have happened) (pre-release)
- If you type a place ID (without a preceding $) into somewhere that's expecting a place name the placefinder will tell you that this is a place ID and give you a link to it (it can't take you there, because 'leek', for example, could end up the ID for somewhere)
- Removed the debugging info from placefinder (issue 173)
- Some tweaks to the home page to improve HTML and search engine hits
- Added waterway (again?) to place finder output and made it a link to the waterway gazetteer
Sunday 4 July 2010
- A lot of re-writing in support of extending the gauge list. Will need to watch closely, I can't believe I haven't introduced any bugs here.
- Ability to edit gauge and maximum dimensions for waterways
- If only one of the dimensions is known, it is still taken into account when planning (since last patch, either unknown meant "ignore")
→ Release 9.9.12
- Removed the "location aware" message from those browsers that aren't.
- Fixed a bug when a list of place results included those big reference places like "London"
- Fixed two bugs when planning a trip with boat size turned on issue 187
→ Release 126.96.36.199
Monday 5 July 2010
- Fixed a bug where sessions weren't purging properly. This also caused an accumulation of logged on people on the home page (because the sessions remained live). In exploring this I accidentally logged everybody out - I hope no-one was too inconvenienced.
- Completed work to allow tunnels to be added and edited
- Extended to cover aqueducts as well
→ Release 9.9.13
- Front page changes upset some browsers - tried to fix this (pre-release)
Tuesday 6 July 2010
- Old attribution and date of entry for comments about places now display properly
- Improved display of tunnels in linar maps
- Added the ability to edit "spurs" (arms and branches and the like leaving the main line) for linear map display
Wednesday 7 July 2010
- Sometimes (and I don't know how) people return to the gazetteer from the placefinder without any submit. I now catch this and send to the right place rather than die with "button not mapped yet".
- Similarly, people can end up in a position where they have a valid session but no "flow control" data. In that case, I return them to the index page with the session intact, rather than dying.
Thursday 8 July 2010
- If you follow strange paths to route generation you could end up with no intermediate place boxes
- It was also possible for race conditions to prevent the intermediate place boxes rendering properly
- By setting hours per day to zero (or by them getting set by accident) it was possible to generate a segfault in itineraries.
- A small tweak to try to sort out issue 188 - IE8 not rendering part of the home page properly
→ Release 9.9.14
Friday 9 July 2010
- Added META keywords and description tags to pages
- Sometimes it gets malformed links from websites which have & in them where you'd expect an &. I've made it cope with this.
Saturday 10 July 2010
- Added RSS feeds - not every sort of change is fully described yet, this will be improved soon
→ Release 9.9.15 *ADDS*RSS feed of new contributions
Sumday 11 July 2010
- Improved RSS - it now shows thumbnails of photos, and validates perfectly at the W3C feed validation service (pre-release)
- A tweak to catch some more rather odd CGI parameters
- Improved how the list of new features is added to the index page - allows some mark-up in there
- Changed how some files were built to reduce the number of blank lines in HTML source for gazetteers
- Made a change to wz_tooltip as suggested here to improve index page load speed perhaps
- Completed some rather nifty code I'd started when boating in May. When you move over a tabbed thumbnail photo in the gazetteer it displays information about it. What's neat is that it doesn't include it in the page - it goes off and gets it as required.
→ Release 9.9.16
- Moved RSS feed to FeedBurner (pre-release)
- Added linear maps to the mini distance table in the gazetteer
- Fixed issue 179 - the total in the summary of a waterway gazetteer could be one out. This was because the totalling code wasn't looking at the penultimate place.
- Waterway names in the gazetteer (each time it tells you that you have moved onto a different waterway) are now links to the waterway gazetteer.
- Work on fixing several issues with linear maps not displaying properly issue 95 refers:
- Fixed the detection of "reversed" links in the C code
- Fixed reversal of stray reversed links in the deelygram code
→ Release 9.9.17
Monday 12 July 2010
- Fixed issue 189 - where you couldn't set waterway dimensions
- Made the description in the waterway gazetteer better if only width or length (but not both) are known.
- Used the new edit icon for all editing
- Implemented a new photo display mode as suggested in issue 136. It's called "Single & Thumbnails"
- Tweak to prevent new pop-up captions appearing in the wrong place if you moved the move quickly over a picture and away before the caption had appeared
Tuesday 13 July 2010
- Linear map graphics at waterway junctions (particularly visible on end-on junctions with locks, like Hall Green) didn't display properly. This was a mis-design: you cannot have a single appropriate icon for junctions. Implemented a json approach to keeping multiple graphics for a few places, and modified the display functions (itinerary, waterway gazetteer and local route table in gazetteer) to use this.
Wednesday 14 July 2010
- Another adjustment to the bug where a search engine mis-reads a URL from a blog post (say hello "(compatible; spbot/2.0.4; +http://www.seoprofiler.com/bot )").
→ Release 9.9.18
- Resizing the index page changes the number of thumbnail photos displayed
Friday 16 July 2010
- Fixed input map for adding isolated place. Now you can't get multiple pins, and do get a sensible default map displayed. This fixes issue issue 192.
Saturday 17 July 2010
- Fixed a limitation in the language interpreter - surprisingly complicated - (changing the type of value in a table using the ← operator) that meant that some returns from the placefinder weren't working.
→ Release 9.9.19
- Work on adding headroom and gauges:
- Added headroom and gauge to the database and internally to the waterways
- Code to find out whether route goes through waterways with no length, width, headroom or gauge data
- Code to allow headroom and gauge to be edited in waterway edit - just like length and width
All this should be invisible as there is as yet no output
Sunday 18 July 2010
- Fixed bug introduced in 9.9.19 that truncated all overnight information at one day
→ Release 188.8.131.52
- Fixed bug introduced in partial headroom/draught code that broke planning when boat dimensions were turned on
→ Release 184.108.40.206
- Fixed issue 197 where setting "remember me" on login actually prevented logging in (pre-release).