|Telescopic Bridge||8 miles, 2¾ furlongs|
|Bridgwater and Taunton Canal - River Parrett Junction||8 miles, 1½ furlongs|
|Western Way Bridge||7 miles, 6¼ furlongs|
|Parrett - King's Sedgemoor Drain Junction||5 miles, ¾ furlongs|
|Parrett - Huntspill Junction||3 miles, 1¼ furlongs|
|Stert Point||3 miles, 7 furlongs|
|Parrett - Brue Junction||4 miles, 4¾ furlongs|
|Burnham-on-Sea||5 miles, 4 furlongs|
|Bridgwater Bar||10 miles, 4 furlongs|
A map will be shown here if you are logged on
These pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons license and copyright the photographer shown above
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
Mouseover for more information or
Nearest place to turn
No informationCanalPlan has no information on any of the following facilities within range:
chemical toilet disposal
Wikipedia has a page about Combwich
Combwich (pronounced "Cummidge") is a village in the parish of Otterhampton within the Sedgemoor district of Somerset, between Bridgwater and the Steart Peninsula.
The village lies on Combwich Reach as the River Parrett flows to the sea and was the site of an ancient ferry crossing. In the Domesday book it was known as Comiz which means 'The settlement at the short, broad, open valley' (from Old English cumb). This is clearly a reference to the valley of exactly this topographical description, immediately to the south of the village, and through which the South Moor Brook flows westwards into the River Parrett. One derivation of -wich is thought to be from Latin 'vicus', and there are archaeological indications that there was a settlement at Combwich in the Romano-British period, based around a ferry across the Parrett at this point. The exact meaning of the second element here is, though, uncertain at present, as Old English -wic can have a variety of meanings attributed to it
It served as a port for the export of local produce and the import of timber from the 15th century. It also served the local brick and coal yard until the creek silted up in the 1930s. Brick and tile making was first recorded in the village in 1842.
The Steart peninsula has flooded many times during the last millennium. The most severe recent floods occurred in 1981. By 1997, a combination of coastal erosion, sea level rise and wave action had made some of the defences distinctly fragile and at risk from failure. As a result, in 2002 The Environment Agency produced the Stolford to Combwich Coastal Defence Strategy Study to examine options for the future.
- Knock Knock Who’s Hair
14 Estuary Park, Bridgwater, TA5 2QP — 699 yards to the southwest.
- Koms 17
18 Nursery Close, Bridgwater, TA5 2JB — 617 yards to the west.
- Cut and Strut - Mobile dog grooming (Dog Walker)
Bridgwater — 903 yards to the west.
- Otterhampton Village Hall & Social Club
Riverside, Bridgwater, Somerset, Bridgwater, TA5 2QZ — 289 yards to the west.
- Otterhampton, Somerset, United Kingdom (Geo Entity)
Otterhampton — 1435 yards to the west.
- Benchmarx Kitchens & Joinery Bridgwater
8 - 9 Riverside House, Riverside Mill Business Park, Wylds Road, Bridgwater, TA6 4BH — 395 yards to the southwest.
- Combwich Anchor (Restaurant)
Riverside, Combwich, Bridgwater, TA5 2RA — 352 yards to the northwest.
- Combwich Post Office
Bridgwater, TA5 2 — 720 yards to the west.
- Hill House Christian Centre
Hill House, Bridgwater, TA5 2PT — 1438 yards to the west.
- Belle Bouquets
Bridgwater — 430 yards to the west.