Trent and Mersey Canal (Wardle Lock Branch)
The Trent and Mersey Canal (Wardle Lock Branch) is a narrow canal and is part of the Trent and Mersey Canal. It runs for 1 furlong from Middlewich Junction (where it joins the Trent and Mersey Canal (Main Line - Harding's Wood to Middlewich) and the Trent and Mersey Canal (Main Line - Middlewich to Preston Brook)) to Wardle Lock No 4 (where it joins the Shropshire Union Canal (Middlewich Branch)).
The maximum dimensions for a boat to be able to travel on the waterway are 72 feet long and 10 feet wide. The maximum headroom is not known. The maximum draught is not known.The navigational authority for this waterway is Canal & River Trust
Relevant books - waterway maps:
- Waterway Routes 32M - Shropshire Union Canal Map (Downloadable)
- Waterway Routes 28M - Trent and Mersey Canal Map (Downloadable)
- Waterway Routes 84M - Four Counties Ring Map (Downloadable)
- Waterway Routes 01M - England and Wales Map
- Waterway Routes 83M - Cheshire Ring Map (Downloadable)
Relevant books - waterway guides:
- Collins Nicholson Waterways Guides No 4 - Four Counties & the Welsh Canals
- Collins Nicholson Waterways Guides No 5 - North West & the Pennines
Junction of Trent and Mersey Canal Main Line with Wardle Lock Branch leading to Shropshire Union Middlewich Branch
|Middlewich Junction Footbridge||¼ furlongs||0 locks|
|A533 Bridge No 168||¼ furlongs||0 locks|
|Wardle Lock Footbridge||¾ furlongs||0 locks|
|Wardle Lock No 4
Junction of Trent and Mersey Canal, Wardle Lock Branch and Shropshire Union Canal, Middlewich Branch
|1 furlong||0 locks|
Wikipedia has a page about Trent and Mersey Canal
The Trent and Mersey Canal is a 93.5-mile long canal (150.5 km) in the East Midlands, West Midlands, and north-west of England. It is a "narrow canal" for the vast majority of its length, but at the extremities to the east of Burton upon Trent and west of Middlewich, it is a wide canal.
The narrow locks and bridges are big enough for a single narrowboat 7 ft wide (2.1 m) × 72 ft long (22 m), while the wide locks can accommodate boats 14 ft wide (4.3 m), or two narrowboats next to each other.