Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Original Route of Lancaster Canal)
The Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Original Route of Lancaster Canal) is a broad canal and is part of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. It runs for 1¾ furlongs from Wigan Top Lock Junction (where it joins the Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Main Line - Wigan to Leeds)) to Cale Lane ( Terminus ) (which is a dead end).
The maximum dimensions for a boat to be able to travel on the waterway are 62 feet long and 14 feet wide. The maximum headroom is 18 feet. The maximum draught is not known.
This waterway is excluded by default from route planning with the following explanation: "closed"The navigational authority for this waterway is Canal & River Trust
Relevant publications — Waterway Maps:
- Waterway Routes 01M - England and Wales Map
- Waterway Routes 10M - Leeds and Liverpool Canal Map (Downloadable)
Relevant publications — Waterway Guides:
- Collins Nicholson Waterways Guides No 5 - North West & the Pennines
- Pearson's Canal Companion: Leeds & Liverpool - West Yorkshire Waterways
Relevant publications — Waterway Histories:
A map will be shown here if you are logged on
|Wigan Top Lock Junction|
|Monk Hall Bridge No 59
End of navigation
|1 furlong||0 locks|
|Site of Wigan Coal and Iron Company Railway Bridge
Demolished in the 1950's
|1¼ furlongs||0 locks|
|Cale Lane ( Terminus )
End of the original line of the Lancaster Canal to Westhoughton
|1¾ furlongs||0 locks|
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
Wikipedia has a page about Leeds and Liverpool Canal
The Leeds and Liverpool Canal is a canal in Northern England, linking the cities of Leeds and Liverpool. Over a distance of 127 miles (204 km), it crosses the Pennines, and includes 91 locks on the main line. It has several small branches, and in the early 21st century a new link was constructed into the Liverpool docks system.