River Weaver (Weston Marsh Lock Line)
The River Weaver (Weston Marsh Lock Line) is a large river and is part of the River Weaver. It runs for 1 furlong through 1 lock from Head of Weston Marsh Side Lock (where it joins the River Weaver (main line)) to Weaver Mouth (where it joins the Manchester Ship Canal (Main Line)).
The maximum dimensions for a boat to be able to travel on the waterway are 130 feet long and 10 feet wide. The maximum headroom is not known. The maximum draught is not known.
Relevant publications — Waterway Maps:
Relevant publications — Waterway Guides:
A map will be shown here if you are logged on
|Head of Weston Marsh Side Lock
Junctions with Manchester Ship Canal and River Weaver - Old Navigation Line
|Weston Marsh Side Lock||¼ furlongs||0 locks|
Junctions with River Weaver and River Weaver - Old Navigation Line
|1 furlong||1 lock|
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
Marsh Lock, junction of Weaver Navigation and Manchester Ship Canal - Marsh Lock — from Monday the 11th of February, 2019 to Friday the 29th of March, 2019.
Update on 11/02/2019:
Following damage to the gate at Marsh Lock last year, we have been operating under restricted passage through one upper gate. We are now ready to complete the full repair of the damaged gate, as originally planned.
A navigation closure is required for the removal and repair of the damaged lock gate. The gate will be floated out using inflatable buoyancy units. It will then be towed up the River Weaver, where it will be lifted out of the river and repaired. The gate will then be returned to the lock and re-located to allow the lock to become fully operational.
The dates for this closure have been amended since first publication and the stoppage will now take place from 11th February until 29th March 2019.
Following the damage caused to the upper lock gates on 2nd June 2018 by a boat impact, we require a lock closure to repair/replace the damaged gates.
The details of the repair/replacement are currently being developed and dates may need to be adjusted.
We will update this notice if changes to the closure dates are required.
Wikipedia has a page about River Weaver
The River Weaver is a river, navigable in its lower reaches, running in a curving route anti-clockwise across west Cheshire, northern England. Improvements to the river to make it navigable were authorised in 1720 and the work, which included eleven locks, was completed in 1732. An unusual clause in the enabling Act of Parliament stipulated that profits should be given to the County of Cheshire for the improvement of roads and bridges, but the navigation was not initially profitable, and it was 1775 before the first payments were made. Trade continued to rise, and by 1845, over £500,000 had been given to the county.
The major trade was salt. The arrival of the Trent and Mersey Canal at Anderton in 1773 was detrimental to the salt trade at first, but ultimately beneficial, as salt was tipped down chutes from the canal into barges on the river navigation. Access to the river was improved in 1810 by the Weston Canal, which provided a link to Weston Point, where boats could reach the River Mersey at most states of the tide, as the water was deeper. The navigation was completely reconstructed between 1870 and 1900, with the original locks being replaced by five much larger locks, capable of handling 1000-tonne coasters. With the opening of the Manchester Ship Canal, a new lock was constructed at Weston Marsh, which gave direct access to the ship canal without having to pass through the docks at Weston Point. All water from the river entered the canal nearby, and any surplus was released into the Mersey through the Weaver sluices, which were located just upstream of the junction.
A notable feature is the Anderton Boat Lift, which is near Northwich, and links the Weaver with the Trent and Mersey Canal some 50 feet (15 m) above. It was opened in 1875, to allow canal boats to reach the Weaver, and although closed on safety grounds in 1983, it was refurbished and reopened in 2002. Many of the structures of the navigation are of historical importance, and are grade II listed. They include the Hayhurst swing bridge and Northwich Town bridge, which are believed to be the earliest swing bridges powered by electricity. Both have a sectional pontoon, which is immersed in the river and carries about 80 per cent of the weight of the bridge. Dutton Horse Bridge, which carries the towpath over the weir stream at Dutton, is one of the earliest surviving laminated timber structures. Dutton railway viaduct, which was built by Joseph Locke and George Stephenson for the Grand Junction Railway, is grade II* listed, and a civic celebration was held on its completion, as there had been no deaths and no serious injuries to the workers during its construction.