River Witham (Sleaford Navigation(Kyme Eau)-navigable section)
The River Witham (Sleaford Navigation(Kyme Eau)-navigable section) is a broad canal and is part of the River Witham. It runs for 7 miles and ½ furlongs through 1 lock from Chapel Hill Junction (where it joins the River Witham (Lincoln to Boston)) to Cobblers Lock (where it joins the River Witham (Sleaford Navigation - un-navigable section)).
The maximum dimensions for a boat to be able to travel on the waterway are 78 feet long and 15 feet and 2 inches wide. The maximum headroom is not known. The maximum draught is not known.The navigational authority for this waterway is Canal & River Trust
Relevant publications — Waterway Maps:
- Waterway Routes 01M - England and Wales Map
- Waterway Routes 18M - Fossdyke and Witham Navigation and Tributaries Map (Downloadable)
- Waterway Routes 18M3 - River Slea and Horncastle Canal Map (Free Download)
Relevant publications — Waterway Guides:
|Chapel Hill Junction
Junction with Sleaford Navigation(Kyme Eau)-navigable section
|North Forty Foot Bank Bridge||1¼ furlongs||0 locks|
|Kyme Eau Flood Lock||1¼ furlongs||0 locks|
|Lower Kyme Lock||1 mile and ¾ furlongs||0 locks|
|Winding Hole below Clay Bank Road Bridge||2 miles and 7½ furlongs||1 lock|
|Clay Bank Road Bridge||3 miles and 4¼ furlongs||1 lock|
|South Kyme||3 miles and 5¼ furlongs||1 lock|
|High Street Footbridge||3 miles and 5½ furlongs||1 lock|
|Low Road Bridge||3 miles and 6½ furlongs||1 lock|
|Church Lane Field Bridge||4 miles and 1¾ furlongs||1 lock|
|South Kyme Field Bridge No 2||4 miles and 4½ furlongs||1 lock|
|Ferry Bridge||5 miles and 3 furlongs||1 lock|
|Ewerby Waithe Common||5 miles and 7¼ furlongs||1 lock|
|Cobblers Lock Winding Hole||7 miles||1 lock|
Limit of Navigation
|7 miles and ½ furlongs||1 lock|
Why not log in and add some (go to "Edit and Change" on the menu and select "Edit websites")?
Wikipedia has a page about River Witham
The River Witham is a river almost entirely in the county of Lincolnshire in the east of England. It rises south of Grantham close to South Witham at SK8818, passes Lincoln at SK9771 and at Boston, TF3244, flows into The Haven, a tidal arm of The Wash, near RSPB Frampton Marsh. The name "Witham" seems to be extremely old and of unknown origin. Archaeological and documentary evidence shows the importance of the Witham as a navigation from the Iron Age onwards. From Roman times it was navigable to Lincoln, from where the Fossdyke was constructed to link it to the River Trent. The mouth of the river moved in 1014 following severe flooding, and Boston became important as a port.
From 1142 onwards, sluices were constructed to prevent flooding by the sea, and this culminated in the Great Sluice, which was constructed in 1766. It maintained river levels above Boston, and helped to scour the channel below it. The land through which the lower river runs has been the subject of much land drainage, and many drains are connected to the Witham by flood doors, which block them off if river levels rise rapidly. The river is navigable from Brayford Pool in Lincoln to Boston, with Locks only in Lincoln, at Bardney and at the Grand Sluice. Passage through the Grand Sluice lock is restricted to short periods when the tidal levels are suitable. The river provides access for boaters to the Witham Navigable Drains, to the north of Boston, and to the South Forty-Foot Drain to the south, which was reopened as part of the Fens Waterways Link, a project to link the river to the River Nene near Peterborough. From Brayford Pool, the Fossdyke Navigation still links to the Trent.