What Changed around Christmas 2008 and New Year 2009
After not updating this page for about 6 weeks I started again!
Sunday 28 December 2008
Improved dimesionsions printing - added metres and inches All waterway dimensions were wrong! Fixed them with new db script
Monday 29 December 2008
Basic "edit details of place" code added
Tuesday 30 December 2008
A new phase of the moon - both new C code to support it, and a new set of graphics created. The old "moongif" has been ripped out of the code base.
→ Release 22.214.171.124
- Fixed a bug (added new code to route.c) in the waterways gazetteer where some canals came out with each leg in the wrong order (the B&F was one) and so also didn't have their ends correctly described.
- Lock count in waterway gazetteer now works
- Place size descriptions are out by one
- Can no longer edit when not logged on (old testing hack removed)
→ Release 126.96.36.199
Wednesday 31 December 2008
- Moon made slightly smaller on index page
- A bit more padding on the left of the main box on the index page
- Added a simple statistics (just place count) to index page
- Dodgy data made planning routes along the GU impossible.
- There's a message about this being the development version on the index page
→ Release 188.8.131.52
Thursday 1 January 2008 to Sunday 4 January 2009
- Logging all SQL (to allow keeping multiple databases synchronised) was inefficient, and didn't cope with (for example) adding photos. So I started to implement a new transaction system using a mini-language that can be acted on and written for later import.
- Doing this I hit a long-standing design flaw in the language: because I use () both as list delimiters and for expression grouping, single item lists tend to turn into atoms of the appropriate type. To fix this I:
- Defined a new pair of characters that act as list delimiters only
- Added some limited UTF-8 handing in the source code to allow me to use sloping double quotes (AltGr-V and B) for this purpose
- Added traditional multiply and divide (AltGr-< and >) operators as a test while developing it
- Quicksearch on home page now preserves session IDs
- Transaction writing now works for new places
- And for adding photographs (complicated as it's in three phases)
- And for moving photos
→ Release 184.108.40.206
Sunday 5 January 2009 to Saturday 10 January 2009
- Work on the local end of transaction logging. Tested for added photos. User creation is now logged.
- Added a feature to let me paste new places in, tweak them and have them added
→ Release 220.127.116.11
- Transaction logging working at both ends for new places. Added a number of recent new places to live version to test this - and because it needed doing.
- Restored photo adding - small typo in hacked-out code
- Typo in Makefile fixed so transaction logs don't get sent
→ Release 18.104.22.168
- The simple edits to fields - text of places etc - are now tranasction logged
-→ Release 22.214.171.124
Sunday 11 January 2009
- Prevented pasted places going in if there is one with that ID already
- Added a "COMMIT" stage to transaction logging, so failed transactions don't clutter up the log
- Fixed some bugs I'd introduced into "create user"
-→ Release 126.96.36.199
- Place with odd punctuation don't break in "add a place" - failing to show anywhere else
- Local end doesn't fail when multiple changes affect the same bit of waterway (distinction between version in database and version in memory)
- Added some random-length sleeping/retry to the SQL code to prevent failing with database busy at the drop of a hat
-→ Release 188.8.131.52
- Extended that to all the SQL command interface, since it seemed to be working for that, but still getting problems elsewhere
Monday 12 January 2009
- And to the SQL database open as well
- Added code to check database integrity. Started adding places for which I had photos but no places.
- Prevented the "moderator's" box for adding places from emails displaying for everybody else (as I'd always intended)
- Started work on code to let places be added breaking lock flights
Wednesday 14 January 2009
- Input page for places that break the lock flight added - nice new slider added for splitting locks
- Logon status added to new place page
- Fixed a bug in the SQL locking code from Monday
- The "moderators" box thing didn't work - made it hard wired to me instead, as I'm the only person ever likely to do it
Tuesday 20 January 2009
- All updates are now executed as single transactions, so will be rolled back if they fail leaving the database consistent
→ Release 184.108.40.206
Wednesday 21 January 2009
- Fixed a bug where the above failed on replay of some transactions
- Added quite a few new places from old backlog
Thursday 22 January 2009
- Continued to add new places from backlog
- Fixed bug where some thumbnail photos were black squares, and arranged for previously generated ones to be automatically corrected when next displayed
- Added a (temporary) small series of dots to allow non-existent place subtitles to be edited. Need a better way in time.
- Fixed a bug where (if logged on) gazetteer gave you a strange empty place. During testing I'd managed to create a place with an empty name and an ID of 0000 and it was showing you the gazetteer for there.
Saturday 24 January 2009
- Continued to add new places
- Fixed an escaping bug in some edits
- Fixed the Erewash Canal distances
→ Release 220.127.116.11
- Added a hover to the Canalplan ID in the gazetteer for those of us with middle-aged eyesight
- Fixed bug in cure for black photos that broke visits to places that had never been looked at
Sunday 25 January 2009
- Upgraded storage of winding holes in database (did bridges in the undocumented period)
- Added a restricted JSON parser to the language (had left the space for it back in November 2006.
- Used JSON to pass bridge and winding parameters through transaction logging
- The result of this is that place detail editing is now working and this upgrade will let me check that it works for synchronisation as well
→ Release 18.104.22.168
- Fixed a couple of small bugs from the above
- Photo deletion completed (database change only so reversable)
- Fixed an interesting bug where it doesn't compile on one machine
→ Release 22.214.171.124
- Fixed the overflowing copyright message from google maps using the technique using a CSS tweak.
- Got basic bug emailing working
- Fixed bug where enormous distances appeared when places were too close together
- Made minimum re-calculated distance into 1m
- Add also for re-divided
- Returned to adding missing places
- Make the editing code grab the database more aggressively to avoid deadlocks
Monday 26 January 2009
- Moving places ended up in an endless loop as the database and internal data remained inconsistent. Fixed.
→ Release 126.96.36.199
- Tracked down a bug where some regexp patterns looked a bit like IDs, but caused bounds problems when attempted to convert.
- Got place deletion to work - with a password for the time being, until layered access rights are implemented
→ Release 188.8.131.52