What changed in August 2018
|What changed in June and July 2018|
To Sunday 19 August 2018
- First stages of necessary changes to move to using an alternative to Google Maps, made necessary by their new rapacious charging policy.
- Tile server installed and configured for the four major regions
- Basic embedded maps for "place" pages
- These have a draggable marker
- And a label that also drags
→ Release 9.31.26
- Added basic embedded maps for "waterway" pages
- This adds capability to pull down waterway polylines
- And to set bounds I can't work out if the zoom in feature is very nice or completely horrible, but it appears to be non-optional with my current state of knowledge.
→ Release 9.31.27
Monday 20 August 2018
- Place gazetteer maps now have other places labelled, and new labels get added as the map is scrolled or zoomed.
- Map resizing by dragging now works
- Fix to og:description tag
→ Release 9.31.28
Tuesday 21 August 2018
- A sudden brainwave - if I use multiple layers for place name labels, depending on size, I can get rid of all my custom coding around zoom levels and let mapbox gl do the work.
- Rewrote the database engine - including using a new custom integer-to-ID function (needed to update sqlite to get this) - made it much simpler
- Altered yesterday's JS to use this output and put things on six custom ordered layers in the map. Now works like a dream as you scroll and zoom in and out.
→ Release 9.31.29
Saturday 25 August 2018
- Added summary maps for route planning. No daily maps, and no background waterways yet, but has the correct area map, the canal and the daily markers.
- New code to set bounds and zoom of map based on data, so avoids the "show the world and fly in" on waterway gazetteers mentioned last Sunday
- Experimental work to use custom tiles for place names instead of getting GeoJSON. Almost certainly a good idea (got proof of concept working), but leave until later.
→ Release 9.31.30
Sunday 26 August 2018
- Improved route planning maps:
- now have background waterways
- and improved pop-up information.
- can't be scrolled or zoomed
→ Release 9.31.31
- Restored basic "add place" functionality. No maps at the moment, but some stop-gap code put in to calculate a default place so you can move on the gazetteer page.
→ Release 9.31.32