What changed in August 2009
Sunday 9 August 2009 (Continued)
- Prevented days with no events from showing a "!" on the index page (later this should become a "do you know of an event") prompt I think.
- Testing on interesting new routes - like Calais to Strasbourg - showed that the overnights table was very wrong. Investigations showed a long-standing bug which means that the daily distances will always have been a bit odd, but on more detailed waterways it will have been hardly noticable. Fixed (and fixed in live version as it was very easy). There's still a problem with very long unbroken stretches of waterway, as they lead to some very short days followed by some very long ones. I'm unsure whether it is better to do something in the code to help with this (pick some arbitrary stopping place) or whether to put the effort into adding more places.
Friday 14 August 2009
Saturday 15 August 2009
- Work on the gazetteer selector pages.
- Fixed a bug where the login information didn't show in empty gazetteers
- Created a new mode for the selector where it completes at a waterway that has no sub-waterways. This involved adding another SQL search to the server back-end as well.
- Made the default waterway gazetteer page use this, and distinguished the two default gazetteers
- Created friendlier named "places" and "waterways" links from the home page menu to the two gazetteers
- Added both to the main gazetteer menu as well
- Fixed a bug in polyline generation where some waterways didn't get polylines
- Wrote a small script to force regeneration
- Added a check that the main database was open before doing an implict runSQL on it
→ Release 9.3.24
- Fixed main config build to support the internationalisation stuff described above
Sunday 16 August 2009
- Added a session database dump to the automatic bug reporter. This should help me track a trickle of strange bug reports that are coming in.
- Patched the Oxford Canal to allow places on the main line of the northern section to be found (needed manual database tweak - did it to the live version as well)
- Added a pop-up selector for finding places to the route-entry page
- Prevented ! places from appearing in selector drop-downs
- Work-around for Safari sometimes submitting the page without any of the buttons pressed (just return the standard page - I think it's what it's doing when you press "enter"). If you use Safari and this is no what you want, add a feature request on the project page.
- Made a stab at fixing issue 30 - about link rewriting, but will need to test on live version
→ Release 9.3.25
Monday 17 August 2009
- Hid "edit distances" button as it generates an error if you aren't logged in, and isn't finished anyway!
- Removed a debugging print from the overnights table
- Converted the fuzzy matcher so that it produces useful hits for "lock 7" instead of complaining about a missing variable. Speeded it up enormously while I was at it.
- Fixed a bug that caused that to be called when it shouldn't be
- Improved that matching code even further
- Fixed a possible bug in place replacement - certainly made it safer
Monday 31 August 2009
- Fixed a bug with several (apple) browsers not sending a "submit" button. Now does first action by default
- A few data tweaks suggested by users
- Added two new gauges for the really big continental waterways (UNECE Resolution 52 category IV and upwards) and updates the Liaison to one - no breakage I can see and planning takes account of it. Very satisfying.
- Your logon status is displayed on route entry page (it was kept, but shown as now logged on).
- A message about being logged on to save options added to the save options page
- Added two "common" items menu block. Used it for the home link and the "project" item, which I renamed.
- Intermediate boxes weren't appearing in IE. This was because calls to the autocompletion function were failing because of a trailing comma problem in UTF-8 code.
- Place matching for places with accents in it was improved - so you can now use them to plan routes without getting "not found" errors. This involved adding a "fold accented characters" feature to the language and extending the work done previously to let places have multiple versions of their name
Wednesday 2 September 2009
→ Release 9.3.26