What changed in November and December 2009
Tuesday 27 October 2009
- Added traps for a couple of common error strings coming back in feeds
Wednesday 28 October 2009
- Added "float" option for menu in configuration.
- Reworked gazetteer page to use this
Sunday 8 November 2009
- Greatly improved the parsing of mixed subscripts and dot notation - makes coding much easier
Saturday & Sunday 14 and 15 November 2009
- Added an alert to show when end date is before start date. Previously it reversed them, which was not the right thing to do (the most likely reason was that the end date year hadn't been moved into the future).
- Extended this alert to replace previous errors about:
- Not having start/end places or having the same and no intermediate
- Having the same place twice in the route with no intermediates
- Having places on non-connected waterways
- Added another check for short routes over long distances - previously caused an "infinity generated"
- And for having no value in hours-per-day
- Fixed the following known issues:
- issue 57 Poor spacing when button line wraps
- issue 64 Route with zero locks offers alternative with less
- Fixed a bug where names with leading accented characters, if entered perfectly or using the drop-down, broke route planning (needed another UF8fold).
- Fixed a bug where if you entered a place name with a colon in it, then went to set options without planning a route first it crashed on return.
- Fixed an obscure bug where it would just sometimes report an unknown place of a place ID
→ Release 9.7.4
- Fixed bug where IDs rather than names were getting inserted into the route entry (introduced a couple of releases ago when I added the selector for major editing)
- Fixed silly language assumption in menu template (not yet causing any problems)
Monday 16 November 2009
- Unknown place output bug-fixes and teaks:
- Described the places near a map as near to the identified place, not the wanted one - both in text and on the map
- Got the suggestion buttons back (irritating - improvements of 8 November have broken it!)
- Fixed a bug where if you selected an alias (user couldn't know this) from the drop-down it took them into the placefinder. Now it just changes to the right place.
- Fixed a bug in the user submitted changes display
- Fixed a couple of bugs introduced in the fix for names with colons in them
→ Release 22.214.171.124
Tuesday 17 November 2009
- Removed experimental gazetteer layout until I looks a lot better
- Fixed a bug I introduced yesterday in fixing the bugs introduced in fixing the names with colon bug
- Although auto-replacement for aliases worked for gazetteer, it didn't for route generation, causing an error about place '$'. Fixed
→ Release 126.96.36.199
Saturday 21 November 2009
- Improved checking for "console.log" and removed a couple
- Removed some debugging prints from build process
- Added an IE6 or lower warning to the home page
- Prevented "enter" replacing the end place with the start place
- The catch for expired sessions wasn't always working and so errors were happening. Fixed in route planner
→ Release 188.8.131.52
Sunday 22 November 2009
- It was possible to sneak an unchanged place name into route planning, which caused an error. Now fixed.
- Added a check for rings that are impossible (say you've set large rivers to NEVER) - it was crashing if you did this.
- Added a warning if your options caused the ring not to plan properly (addesses issue 63)
→ Release 9.7.5
- Fixed tabbing order around duration settings
Week of 23-27 November
- Added a basic display of boatyards, with one demonstration value in the database
Saturday 28 November 2009
- Moderated all photos pending on version 8.
- Imported all those photographs to version 9
- Turned photo adding off from version 8
Sunday 29 November 2009
- Added a selector to help in selecting places for moving photos to
→ Release 9.7.6
- Fixed a bug where photos didn't display in the gazetteer sometimes (autoload feature misconfigured)
- And one where editing photos sometimes tried to look things up in the gazetteer instead
→ Release 184.108.40.206
Saturday 12 December 2009
- Added a "show this map full size" link at request of Andrew Denny (done pre-release)
- Added the ability to extend a waterway beyond its terminum
- Less truncation of distances in new waterway and extend waterway
- A major catch-up of new places and photos has been going on for the last few weeks, and is continuing
→ Release 9.7.7
To 23 December 2009
- Fixed a bug introduced in last release (map and login failed when you made an error adding a place)
- In the selector, places are now in geographical order on waterways, not alphabetical (issue 48 - see this for more details)
- Added a set of zoom and reset buttons to add place (following discussion with Tony Radstone)
- Incomplete new photo entries could appear on the index page. Prevented this.
- Fixed bug in ring generation introduced in release 9.7.5
- Added a check for no name being given to new places (instead of an SQL error)
→ Release 9.7.8 *ADDS* Places in geographical order in selectors
Wednesday 23 December 2009
- If you start a source file with a C-style comment, you don't need a "pragma" (idea taken from how REXX distinguishes itself from EXEC and EXEC2 on CMS). This is to help programmers, users have no interest in it.
Thursday 24 December 2009
- Added display of cache information to Geograph plugins, and tweaked Wikipedia's
- Added extra debugging to try to find out what is still causing problems here
→ Release 220.127.116.11
- The "new things from users" display now shows where a place has been moved to the other side of, rather than just a string of question marks.
- Added a restriction on what to show in that list - currently just the last 20 days' worth
Saturday 26 December 2009
- Tightened a check on Geograph XML that should reduce errors
- Altered a particular character encoding ("alphanum") to increase security; created a new one for coordinates
Sunday 27 December 2009
- New photo features - show photos by a user, show large version of photos, show a few new photos on the home page.
→ Release 9.7.9 *ADDS* New photo features
- Fixed bug where clicking on photos in gazetteer wasn't working properly
→ Release 18.104.22.168
- User links are now provided for photos when there is only a single photo at a place
- New "photos" item added to menu - on home page and other photo pages
- Tweaked UK Waterways Ranking (linked to new URL, changed appearance)
Monday 28 December 2009
- Photos display of a few random recent ones, and a "leaderboard" of contributors
- "Recent" photos now go back 1,2,4,8... days to find enough
- Fixed a bug in selector that prevented some waterways (Bridgewater Main Line for example) showing their places (introduced in release 9.7.8)
- Added a basic "find nearest" plugin to gazetteer. Only water, rubish and chemical loos so far (issue 62)
→ Release 9.7.10
- Accession date added for large photo display if data exists
- A bug that caused the photo data callback to die sometimes has been fixed
- A tweak to prevent some garbled Geograph data breaking things added
→ Release 22.214.171.124
- I'm getting blank lines with spaces in the middle of the downloaded Geograph XML - something to do with how I'm getting it I think. I've added some code to patch it back together again
→ Release 126.96.36.199
- Added a full Windows-1252 to UTF8 converter to allow proper parsing of all the punctuation characters (Euro signs, m dashes etc) in Geograph output
Tuesday 29 December 2009
- Added "prev" and "next" buttons by the day number links to make it easy to page through the itinerary output
- Fixed "Grand Circle" ring to make sure it included the tidal Thames.
- Added configurable cache ages for data from remote websites. Set Wikipedia to 5 times default (currently 1 day) and Geograph to 10 times. Reduces server load and page delay significantly.
- Improved the message above the suggestions from placefinder to make it more positive
- Added leading-space trimming to Gazetteer and Route Planner, fixes issue 70
- Added leading string matching with no punctuation or case to unknown place matching. Fixes issue 69
→ Release 9.7.11
- Fixed a bug I seem to have introduced which broke the photo info calls.
→ Release 188.8.131.52
- Further development of my Windows-1252 to UTF8 conversion to cover the full range of data
Wednesday 30 December 2009
- Sessions are preserved during photo viewing
- By changing the menu items from a list to DIVs I seem to have solved the problem of them being too widely spaced on some pages. I never worked out what was causing it - it seems as though some containing structures alter the line spacing in lists. I've found a mention of this as an IE bug, but this was happening in every browser. Most odd.
- Added logon box to all new pages by automatically
- Improved handling of photos in gazetteer - switching between menu when editing and simple click-to-view when not
→ Release 184.108.40.206 (almost a bigger increment than that, but no actual new functionality)
- Code to generate a "canonical" link for search engines added - will be tested but not used in next release.
Thursday 31 December 2009
- Fixed code to generate URLs containing escaped UTF8 characters. Fixes issue 79
→ Release 220.127.116.11
- Added virtual cruises of waterways
→ Release 9.7.12