What Changed in October 2016 to January 2017
Sunday 16 October 2016
- Rationalised the various winding fields in the place_extra data into a single winding_JSON field. In propagating this through the code-base I fixed bugs and made enhancements including:
- made sure that the winding information was always displayed
- made sure suitable graphics were shown
- fixed issue 203 where changing preferences didn't return to the gazetteer (not part of this code, but it was irritating me as I worked on it!)
- enhanced the display of less-than full-length winding holes to include commentary on relevance of your boat length if set in options
Thursday 20 October 2016
- Fixed a bug where an external link generated an unwanted "not found" link in the change log (in addition to the correct one) - patched live version as well
Sunday 23 October 2016
- Improvements when adding new waterways:
- If there is an error the old values are not lost
- Restored catching missing places (used to be there, but a new links check that had been added blew up before the test was reached)
Monday 24 October 2016
- Pre-release patch to fix a problem with reading embedded spur data when generating linear maps (already fixed in winding work).
- Changed display of edits to structure discussions in RSS feeds to remove a NOT FOUND (pre-release patch).
Tuesday 25 October 2016
- Made missing outlines trigger an automatic regeneration of the appropriate outlines - issue 209.
Friday 28 October 2016
- Tweak to placefinder to catch further SQL injection attacks (which fail, but confuse the system). Russia and Kazakhstan would you believe? Yes, of course you would.
To Tuesday 17 January 2017
A huge pile of work, that I got so wrapped up in while trying to do a heap of real-life stuff as well that I didn't document it properly. This continued on the re-working of the underlying database structures to cover locks and – particularly complicated but significantly improved – bridges.
Among the various changes this makes are:
- The list of things that bridges can cross and which can cross bridges is the same
- Any sort of bridge can be a lift or swing bridge
- Bridges can be flagged as "don't usually need to be opened"
- Linear graphics have been improved in various ways, including:
- "Usually open" lift and swing bridges have their own symbols
- Winding hole symbols in wide bits don't get clipped
- The pivot point for swing and lift bridges is shown on the offside where possible
- Bridges over narrows (such as at the top end of the Llangollen) are rendered properly
→ Release 9.29 - to beta only at this stage
Sunday 22 January 2017
- Fixed text for "special" bridge type - part of issue 226
- Fixed lock details - editing place didn't set them (in fact generated an error - I'd missed doing an entire block of code) -= issue 224
- Added new page to show places with impossible SVG and a link from the "Changes, bugs & ideas" pages
→ Release 184.108.40.206 [still beta-only]
- Fixed a change in the place completion code I'd made for some reason and not got quite right [pre-release]
- Fixed a typo in the winding code that broke route planning [pre-release]
- Incorporated the documentation pages into the upload of static data
- Fixed the display of missing bridges, and the text that accompanies them. issue 226 should now be dealt with.
→ Release 220.127.116.11 [still beta-only]
- Fixed a bug in setting default access for places - it hadn't been migrated to the new data tables [pre-release]
Monday 23 January 2017
- Refactored gazetteer cache code to make it clearer. Made the default be to not cache other than on live system
→ Release 18.104.22.168 [still beta-only]
Wednesday 25 January 2017
- Set up redirects in QR code and action_photo to send to index page if parameters are missing
Friday 27 January 2017
- Fixed bug where if both the name and the ID were passed to the gazetteer it got confused; this was the cause of issue 203
→ Release 22.214.171.124 [live]
Saturday 28 January 2017
- Enhanced the background work to tidy up photos (remove failed uploads, delete malformed files etc) - addresses issue 80
- Stopped it moving very large files until upload was completed, addresses several bugs but in particular the failure to keep the exif date info when rotating an image – issue 222 and the random failures of mogrify
- While I'm looking at exif and mogrify, added code to auto-rotate an image (this is on first upload, so subsequent manual rotations are not overridden).
→ Release 9.29.1
Sunday 29 January 2017
- Doubled maximum photo size to 20M. Cameras are getting better and storage cheaper.
- Reworked the "add new place" so that it works if there are marker places around and you don't have marker places turned on in your preferences issue 176.
→ Release 9.29.2 [beta only]
Tuesday 31 January 2017
- Fixed what happens if you add a new marker place when you don't have marker place viewing turned on
→ Release 126.96.36.199 [beta only]
- I'd prevented you seeing marker places for adding new places if you were at a "real" place, now you get the original behaviour if markers are visible.
- Describes marker places as such in gazetter, not as minor waterways places.
→ Release 188.8.131.52